Tuesday 9 April 2013

Hannah Dress


Being that I am still relatively new to the art of crochet, I still have a lot to learn. As I was looking around on the Interweave website, I came across a workshop by Robyn Chachula on learning to design crochet baby sweaters.

The workshop can be downloaded as a digital video right away and I have decided to give it a try. I have watched the workshop once and thought it was interesting and had a lot of information with great tips and ideas. The second time I did the workshop I was ready with pen and paper and started making notes.

My little girl gets very excited about me making her hats and gloves so I have decided to try and make her a dress which I would design. Even though the workshop is written for designing sweaters, I found it really easy to design a little dress. Robyn goes into great detail in her workshop about how to make measurements, how to calculate the number of stitches and how to shape garments.

First I had to draw I shape of what I wanted the dress to look like. Breaking it down to sections and calculating the stitches took a little time but eventually I had a sheet of paper with lots of numbers on it.

Once I started crocheting I started making notes and was very excited as the fabric started to grow and take shape in my hands.

I am very happy with the result and am already thinking about the next design.

The yarn I have used is a sport weighed organic cotton yarn by KnitPicks, which I found out as I was trying to put a link here, that it has been discontinued. I really love this yarn and hope they bring it back some day. Love the colors and still have a big bin full of it at home so I can keep making things.











No comments:

Post a Comment